Pages

Monday, August 20, 2012

Sending emails from your Ubuntu Drupal development environment in 2 minutes


I use an Ubuntu system when developing Drupal websites. When setting up a development environment in Ubuntu you may need to configure your local development environment to send emails. Here is how I configured my system in less than 2 minutes.
First thing I did was install SSMTP. This is incredibly easy in Ubuntu, just run the following from the terminal.

sudo apt-get install ssmtp
SSMTP will only allow you to send emails through another email system. You could use Gmail to send the email, however I prefer an email delivery service such as Sendgrid (used on all my production sites... and now my development sites). It makes setting up a server to send emails as painless as possible. You can sign up for a free account to try it out at https://sendgrid.com/user/signup
The next thing is to edit the SSMTP config file.

sudo vim /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf
Now add the following configuration options at the bottom of the file (filling in the user name and password accordingly):

mailhub=smtp.sendgrid.net
FromLineOverride=YES
AuthUser=[SENDGRID-EMAIL]
AuthPass=[SENDGRID-PASSWORD]
AuthMethod=LOGIN

3 comments:

  1. Here i have learn about drupal Ubuntu environment there we can learn more and more about drupal development.........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drupal development is a best open source technology. Thanks for sharing for this article.
    drupal developer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a quick note to let you know that I liked what I read. Cheers!
    dot net application development

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment.