Pages

Monday, August 20, 2012

The best way to learn Drupal


I often get asked what is the best way to go about learning Drupal or the best way to get started with website development. Because of these questions, I decided to put together a list of things I wish I would have done first, when I started to teach myself Drupal.

Learning Drupal Tip #1 - Getting Started

The first step to getting started with Drupal is to first figure out where you are at. If you are a web developer transitioning from another CMS or system like Wordpress, Joomla, etc, you will probably need to start in a different place than someone completely new to the subject.
You also need to do a little self reflection and figure out how you learn best. There are many methods to learning Drupal, and you will need to figure out what works best for you. This may be in the form of reading books, watching videos, or through trial and error (which is probably the way to learn the quickest).

Learning Drupal Tip #2 - Drupal.org

No matter how you decide you want to learn Drupal, you should definitely start with setting up an account on http://drupal.org. There are many pages on Drupal.org that will help you get started. The Drupal documentation page is a good starting point.
You may also want to look into IRC or the Drupal forums as a possibility to get quick support if you get stuck on something. Sometimes it is good to know you are not fighting the Drupal learning curve alone.

Learing Drupal Tip #3 - Videos

If learning by watching is your preferred learning method, here are some links that you may want to look into.
  • Sign up for the drupalforme newsletter or subscribe to my RSS feed. I plan on adding some Drupal videos in the near future.

Learning Drupal Tip #4 - Books

I have read my fair share of Drupal books, or at least large parts of quite a few. However, most of the Drupal books I have read were for Drupal 6. I have listed some Drupal books that I liked, as well as some Drupal 7 books that I would likely purchase if I was to learn Drupal all over again.
  • Using Drupal - A great reference for those just getting started as well as experienced developers who want to brush up on their skills. Focuses mainly on building Drupal through the admin interface without the need to dive into the code.
  • Drupal's Building Blocks - Book is focused more on Drupal 6, but covers the concepts of CCK, Views, and Panels
  • Pro Drupal Development - Although I have not read this book, I have read some of the Drupal 6 version. If you are looking to build modules/themes in Drupal, this will be a great resource.

Learning Drupal Tip #5 - Drupal Websites or Blogs

Google, Bing, DuckDuckGo, or whatever your search engine of choice may be, will definitely aid you in your Drupal learning curve. 

Learning Drupal Tip #6 - Make your own path

Truth is, there is no "right way" to learn Drupal. There is only "your way" or the way that will work best for you. If you have questions, don't be afraid to ask for help using some of the methods above. 
Generally Drupal developers enjoy helping out when they can. One thing to keep in mind is to make sure you do adequate research about your question beforehand if you want a Drupal developer to spend the time to help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment.